Emory University Hospital | Emory University Hospital Midtown | Grady Memorial Hospital | Atlanta Veterans Affairs Medical Center | Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston | Saint Joseph's Hospital | Piedmont Hospital
An adult, tertiary/quaternary care facility, Emory University Hospital (EUH) is approved for 579 beds. EUH is staffed by 1,239 Emory School of Medicine faculty physicians. It includes a 20-bed psychiatric facility, 93 intensive care unit beds, a 56-bed rehabilitation center, and a nine-bed clinical research center supported by the National Institutes of Health. Patients in fiscal year 2012: 25,332 admissions and 157,794 outpatient services.
EUH is long known for cardiology, cardiac surgery, orthopaedics, oncology, and neurology/neurosurgery, and it has one of the most comprehensive transplant programs in the Southeast. In 2012, the University HealthSystem Consortium (UHC) ranked EUH second for quality out of 101 academic medical centers. Among the UHC-member facilities, EUH has the highest case-mix index (a measure of complexity of illness treated). Also in 2012, U.S. News & World Report ranked EUH the No. 1 hospital in both metro Atlanta and Georgia. For the 15th year in a row, Atlanta health care consumers named the hospital the Consumer's Choice Award winner.
Emory University Hospital Midtown (EUHM) is a tertiary care facility approved for 511 beds. It is staffed by 1,152 Emory School of Medicine faculty and 394 community physicians. EUHM has 88 ICU beds, including 11 beds in a level III neonatal ICU. Patients in fiscal year 2012: 20,448 admissions and 172,872 outpatient services. EUHM's case-mix index is higher than that of most community hospitals. It is well known for services in cardiology, cardiac surgery, gastroenterology, neurosurgery, cancer, and emergency medicine. Women's services include prenatal and postnatal education, bone density testing, mammography, and obstetrics, with specialization in high-risk pregnancy. In 2012, the University HealthSystem Consortium (UHC) ranked EUHM sixth for quality out of 101 academic medical centers.
Part of Grady Health System and among the largest public hospitals in the Southeast, Grady Memorial Hospital has 953 beds and an annual service volume of 26,840 admissions and 560,000 outpatient services. Grady is staffed by 539 Emory medical faculty, who supervise 362 Emory residents and fellows. Together, these Emory physicians provide about 85% of care at Grady, with the other 15% provided by Morehouse School of Medicine. The hospital has a regional perinatal center for high-risk mothers and babies, a neonatal intensive care unit, a diabetes center, a teen center, the Georgia Poison Center, a rape crisis center, a regional American Burn Association-accredited burn center, a sickle cell center, a comprehensive treatment program for HIV/AIDS, a premier Level I trauma center as well as a surgical intensive care unit, a stroke center, and the Georgia Cancer Center for Excellence.
Located near the main Emory campus, the Atlanta VA is staffed by 250 Emory physicians that provide virtually all physician care. The hospital has 217 hospital beds, 60 nursing home beds, and 12 psychiatric residential rehab beds. Annual patient services: 7,107 admissions and 1,045,572 outpatient services. As a teaching hospital, the Atlanta VAMC is primarily affiliated with the Emory University School of Medicine.
Staffed by 224 Emory physicians and physicians from the community, with Emory clinicians providing 95% of care, CHOA at Egleston is located on the Emory campus. The hospital includes the only Level 1 pediatric trauma center in Georgia. Annual patient services: 11,036 admissions, 244,936 outpatient services. Egleston is a component of the Emory-Children's Center, a joint venture between Emory Healthcare and Children's Healthcare of Atlanta that is the largest pediatric multispecialty group practice in Georgia.
Founded by the Sisters of Mercy in 1880 and located in the north metro area, Emory Saint Joseph's Hospital is a 410-bed acute care facility with 100 Emory School of Medicine faculty physicians, 673 community physicians, and 58 Emory Specialty Associate physicians. Noted especially for cardiac care, the hospital also offers neurologic, vascular, gastrointestinal, respiratory, orthopaedic, and cancer care, among other specialties. The hospital is one of the few hospitals in the world to receive Magnet Recognition for Nursing Excellence. Patients in 2012 (January through August): 8,626 admissions and 148,364 outpatient services.
Piedmont Hospital is a private, not-for-profit, acute-care, tertiary facility offering most major medical, surgical, and diagnostic services. The facility has 488 beds, all private rooms; 4,000 employees; and a medical staff of more than 1,000 board-certified physicians. The main campus is is located six miles from Emory in the Buckhead neighborhood of Atlanta, with facilities across the metro area.